Roles and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Head of Sales the sales officer will:
- Production management of orders from allocated accounts. This includes communicating with artisans, checking cost sheets, interrogating costs, checking production and ensuring deadlines for delivery are met.
- Working closely with Turquoise Mountain’s technical assistants, communicate with Head of Sales the production of new product lines for jewellery, ceramics, textiles and woodwork. Along with the Head of Sales, the sales officer is the ‘on the ground’ coordinator for such collaborations relaying information from the workshops as designs are produced, samples made and quotations formed.
- Work with international designers to interpret their instructions for artisans. Good communication skill areessential to translate international designer’s ideas into easily understood terms for artisans to follow.
- Help carry out targeted research on products and markets, both domestic and international. This may involve a survey of local businesses in Kabul, as well as web-based research on potential new markets abroad.
- Aid the development and management of Turquoise Mountain’s brand.
- Collaborate with the External Affairs Officer to ensure Turquoise Mountain’s external communications lead to the effective generation of sales.
- Manage orders and production processesthrough timely and professional communication.
- Coordinate and plan local sales (also known as exhibitions) with Embassies and NGOs in Kabul. This includes being responsible for selecting and liaising with artisans who will be attending, communicating with the contact at the event organisation, arranging logistics (transport, security details, tables and equipment), and recording sales figures post event.
Turquoise Mountain is a non-profit, non-governmental organization specializing in urban regeneration, business development, and education in traditional arts and architecture. We seek to provide jobs, skills, and a renewed sense of national pride to Afghan men and women. Since 2006 Turquoise Mountain has cleared 30,000 cubic meters of rubbish from the streets, restored 112 historic and community buildings, created a primary school and a clinic, and installed water, electricity and sanitation through the historic traditional craft neighbourhood of Murad Khani in the old city of Kabul. It has created the internationally-accredited Institute for Afghan Arts & Architecture, training the next generation of craftsmen and women in woodwork, jewellery and gem cutting, calligraphy and miniature painting, and ceramics. Finally, it has sold US$ 3,500,000 of Afghan artisan products internationally.
Skills and Experience
• Citizen of Afghanistan
• English language proficiency, with strong writing skills.
• Experience communicating with international clients and businesses, an advantage.
• Understanding and familiarity with Afghanistan’s artisan sector preferred.
• Experience and skill in working with SMEs and not-for-profit organisations.
• Ability to work with a diverse team based in different locations.
• Knowledge of InDesign or Photoshop would be beneficial but is not essential.
• An adaptable and energetic problem solver with good communication skills and a sense of humour.
• Self starting, committed, flexible and loyal.
Please mention the vacancy number while applying, send CV and covering letter to:
Further information about the work of Turquoise Mountain is available at www.turquoisemountain.org